Sunday, October 27, 2013

The Reason for my Mission

This week I really figured out why I came here.

There are many reasons why people serve missions. The most commonly known "correct" answer is: "to serve the Lord." I could have served the Lord as a home teacher going to school and getting married and stuff. Maybe not full time but I could have done it.

I didn't come because my parents wanted me to, I didn't come to get a title of 'RM'.

I came so that I can be a missionary.

In Georgia we had excellent missionaries in my ward. I saw their examples and saw what they became. I wanted to be like them. As I've been here I've lost track of that but recently I've found it again. I am here to 'Be A Missionary'..... BAM

My trainer wrote on the walls of every apartment (why he did that I don't know): Don't just do missionary things, be a missionary. We are just doing missionary things if we're teaching people and just doing the things we need to.

One experience of this week that I was a missionary happened on Thursday morning. (I don't say this to boast or anything, just to show an example) We went and saw a woman named Elizabeth. She has been to church a few times but hasn't had the commitment necessary for baptism. Before we left the apartment I had the feeling to grab the consecrated oil. I grabbed it and we got there and she said she was sick. She said we should come back another time. We said ok and my companion started to walk off. I stood there in front of the door for a few minutes and called my companion back. I asked her if we could talk to her for a minute. She came out and I could tell she wasn't feeling well. If I was just doing missionary things I could have gone and knocked some more doors or seen someone else. I decided that morning that I would Be A Missionary. I asked her if we could give her a priesthood blessing. She accepted and it was nice.

There's no way I could truly Be A Missionary if I had stayed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment